This dish was originally developed in a small country village around the 1850s near Shanghai. It balances the flavors of cane sugar, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. This makes the cuisine very popular and appetizing. The short spare ribs are known as one of the most premium, tender and flavorful of pork meat cuts. Ribs are a rich source of not only high-quality protein but also essential minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, and B-vitamins including thiamin, Vitamin B6, and B12.
A. Pork Spare Short Ribs 1lb and 8oz | Our pork is raised Certified-Humane with no growth hormone or steroid |
B. 1 Cup of Rice ( How to Cook Rice )
Spice and Sauces (Well organized and combined in containers No.1 – No.6):
- Sesame - Cane Sugar - Soy Sauce
- Scallion - Vegetable Oil - Cooking Wine
- Ginger - Rice Vinegar
Step by Step Recipe
1. Boil Ribs: Place pork short ribs (No. A) into a pot with cold water. Add ginger slices from (No.2) to the water. Cook on high heat until boiling. After boiling, reduce the heat to medium and keep boiling for another 3 min. Take out the ribs and set to dry for later use.
2. Cook Ribs: In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil from the container (No.1) for 1-2 min until hot, then add the boiled ribs from step 1 to the pan. Cook and stir for 5-6 minutes until all sides of the ribs are browned.
3. Add Sauces: Shake well the mixed sauces from the cups (No.3) and (No.4) and add them to the pan. Keep stirring for another 1 minute until everything is well mixed. Then add just enough water to the pan to barely submerge all the ingredients. Cook on high heat until boiling. Then cover with lid, reduce to medium heat and keep boiling for another 15 minutes.
4. Finish the Dish: Open the lid and turn the heat to high. Cook for another 5-10 minutes and keep stirring frequently until the juice is thickened and reduced to only submerge 1/4 of the ingredients. Turn off the heat.
5. Plate the Dish: Plate the ribs on your dish, garnish with the sesame seeds (No.5) and minced scallions (No.6). Share with your friends or serve with rice. Enjoy!